Saturday 8 June 2019

Chernobyl


I am two-fifths of the way through
watching the phenomenal Chernobyl,
on Sky / HBO, I first heard about
it at a talk by Serhii Plokhy,
at the excellent, British Library,
I have heard, and read, so much
about it this week, the reviews
are fantastic. Some of the sries is
based directly on Svetlana
Alexievichs accounts in Chernobyl
Prayer. I love the production design,
the sense of the insular-ness when
the world, and Sweden find out, is
told purely from the point of view
of the officials in Ukraine, almost
claustrophic. I love the audio,
and especially, the use of language,
untranslated as the residencys of
Pripyat are evacuated, the feeling, of
not knowing, completely, what is
happening.
Here is the link of NowTV
An pictre essay I have just seen on
the Guardian, and I have a
drawing



This is Serhii Ploky's book, phenomenal,
I read this in Cyprus, I have interviews
him after his talk, and I gave him my
drawing, I included this in my presentation
at the IMF. As I was leaving, I realised
my recording timecode is exactly 1:23,
it’s the title of the first HBO Series, and
the exact time of the explosion at Chernobyl.
I have, and I am, reading Rebecca Solnit
again too, I read ‘Lost’ in 2019, and I
am interested in her material on the
Guardian about voice and silence. At
Serhii Plokhy’s talk, a lady in the
audience asked a question, she was in
Kyiv when the explosion in Chernobyl
happened, she also had a link between
Chernobyl and Holodomor, and, an idea
about space, and Ukraine being used by the
Soviet authorities in Moscow. I have my
interview, truth, voice.