Sunday 9 June 2019

Ulana Khomyuk



I have finished watching Chernobyl,
all the reviews are absolutely,
correct, this is one, if not the, most
brilliant piece of television I have
ever watched. When I was
reading Serhii Plokhy’s book, my
mind so often, I was seeing this from
an outside, my, the world’s
view and the programme is so
closed, almost claustrophobic,
insular, everything is told from the
inside, Ulana Khomyuk, I didn’t
recognise here, all the way through,
I was thinking of Svetlana Alexievich,
she is from Belarus, a representation,
of voices, monologues, and
dialogues, I am writing about this,
fictional and truth, many
voices, and censorship, Soviet
publishing, and the voice of the
author, I got cold chills at the
end. Auto-ethnographic research,
Bakhtin, a dialogue (invisible
voices, when a character isn’t
there, is absent, a form of absent
dialogue. I am thinking about
Chernobyl Prayer, and how
Alexievich reveals herself,
subtely, with, and in relationship
to, her characters. My question

to Serhii Plokhy was about truth, how
is it possible, there is data, how
is it possible, to make and find a
truth from statistics, and then,
how can I find the poetic, and
human, from, and within it, his
reponse, is to compare material
from a range of sources, and for the
human, find people, record and
document


Cold War
This is the book I have been
reading, it’s about art and fictions,
an absolute truth, and artists
responses to the period of the
cold war.
Photo essay
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/07/chernobyl-now-i-was-not-afraid-of-radiation-a-photo-essay