Saturday 21 August 2021

Thesis Production: Typesetting, Binding and Finals

Final production of my thesis is underway. My
body text is set in Baskerville. References for all
typesetting come from a brilliant book by Robert
Bringhurst, The Elements of Typographic Style
(2005). This includes analysis of visual harmonies,
uses of golden section in page proportions and a
relationship between musical intervals, page
structure, margins and page dimensions and ratios
(pp. 146–154). I am also using Bringhurst’s
analysis of typesetting for characters, special
characters, superscripts, uses of italics and
visual rhythms in page layout. Baskerville is a
historical typeface designed in Birmingham by
John Baskerville. An Eighteenth Century typeface.
I love this historical reference. There is a modern
typeface, Mrs Eaves, a development from Baskerville
and named after John Baskerville’s housekeeper,
lover and later wife. This is a contemporary version
or retake of Baskerville’s font with exquisite use
of ligatures.





The Elements of Typographic
Style Book Drawing, 2021, Source:
Author.




Mrs Eaves, 2021. Typesetting source: Author.


Comb binding holds together all my paper
stock. This includes different sizes, formats and
weights of paper. I am using a concealed comb
binding technique. Marc Atkinson of Land of
Plenty
recommended this to me. This is a
brilliant method including uses of one long
sheet of paper with three folds. To wrap a
front cover around itself, over its comb binding
and into a final back page. I am also binding
this back cover in on itself again, to hold
ephemeral materials at a back section of my
thesis.




The Arm Collective publication, n.d. Source:
Pinterest.




Paper Weights Spreadsheets, 2021, Source: Author.





Production Visuals, 20201, Source: Author.




Production Visuals, 2021, Source: Author.





Production Visuals, 2021, Source: Author.


I am now investigating postage options including
packaging and mailout envelopes. I want to
use a combination of raw, untreated brown card,
and shiny yellow G. F. Smith stock I am using for my
front cover. I am working on stickers, cover letters,
and how to use my Recipes for Baking Bread
stamp in branding all these materials. Next
stages are organising posting, postage times and
schedules for collating and production of print
materials.




How to makeup a Book Box, n.d. Source:
springpack.co.uk





Production Materials, 2021, Source: Author.


Production Materials, 2021, Source: Author.


References:
Bringhurst, R. (2005) The Elements of Typographic Style: Version 3.1. Point Roberts, Washington: Hartley & Marks.