Saturday 19 February 2022

Participants’ Packs, The Holodomor in Global Perspective and Jerry Berman’s Letters.

I have created, collated and distributed participants’
packs for Recipes for Baking Bread. These are for all
interviewees involved in my films. Jerry Prytulak,
Serhii Plokhy, Philip Colley, Daria Mattingly. I hand
delivered packs for Alison Marshall and Reverend Fr
Volodymyr Sampara in September 2021 and January 2022.
These images show documentation of my postal packs
this month. This is using a pop up studio at work. I love
this set up and this is my first time using it. I created
brilliant quality images in a short space of time
using my mobile phone camera. It has been brilliant
connecting with participants for this project again. Some of
this work appears in a new light as a result of
current Ukraine-Russian conflicts. For example maps I
created showing Gareth Jones’ journey below.
Belgorod is one place where Russian troops are now
collecting. This is within walking distance from Kharkiv.



Participants’ Packs, 2022. Source: Author.



Participants’ Packs, 2022. Source: Author.



Participants’ Packs, 2022. Source: Author.



Participants’ Packs, 2022. Source: Author.



Gareth Jones’ Walking Route 1932, 2021. Source: Author.
 

I have submitted a paper for The Holdomor in
Global Perspective
. This conference runs in June at
The University of Cambridge. Organisers are Daria
Mattingly and John Vsetecka. My paper title is
Recipes for Baking Bread: Stories from Holodomor. I am
exploring truth, poetry with relation to Rilke, Rumi and
Brecht and stories from my short films. I am
focusing on two stories in particular. Gareth Jones’
walking routes, maps I use to document his experiences
as described by Philip Colley in my interviews. I
am exploring Jerry Berman’s letters. This collection of
writing as archives. This paper will be a brilliant
opportunity to meet with scholars exploring work from
Holodomor.



Grossman Everything Flows [Forever Flowing], 2021. Source:
Author.

 

Ukraine is in mainstream news and I am following stories.
British ministers have visited Kyiv. This includes
Liz Truss Foreign Secretary and her visit to the Holodomor
Museum this week. An image below shows Truss and Dmytro
Kuleba Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine inside
museum galleries. Both ministers here are with a
collection and display of Berman’s letters. This is a
project I established in September
2021 with independent writer Alison Marshall and
curator Yana Grinko. This work was subject of my
fifth films exploring Berman’s letters.



Liz Truss and Dmytro Kuleba with Jerry Berman’s letters
at the Holodomor Museum, 17 February 2022. Source:
Twitter: @DmytroKuleba



Recipes for Baking Bread: Jerry Berman’s Letters from Sara Nesteruk on Vimeo.