Saturday 18 December 2021

Viva Preparations and Christmas Decorations

I am preparing for my viva. Resources I am using
include vitae.ac.uk (2021), some brilliant resources
from Leeds Beckett University and two books. The first
of these is How to Survive Your Viva by Rowena
Murray (2015). A second book is The Doctoral Examination
Process
by Penny Tinkler and Carolyn Jackson (2004).
These include practical tips and suggestions for
deconstructing my writing. My next steps are a
physical mock up of my printed thesis with
highlighted sections and chapter summaries. I am
dissecting each chapter using a paragraph, using a
sentence and constructing questions and answers from
these texts. This is defending my knowledge using
three key theories to bring my answers back to.

Kerry Harker’s Doctural Thesis Mark up on
Instagram. Source: Kerry Harker, 2021.


I have homemade Christmas decorations. These
are inspired by a birthday trip to NQ64 in Manchester.
This is a retro arcade games venue. My decorations
are from TV programmes and computer games in 1970s
and 1980s. I have four: Thundercats (TV programme
1985–1989); Pacman (computer game, 1980);
Track and Field (ZX Spectrum and arcade game, 1984) and
Lemmings (Amiga, 1991). These are laser cut on 4mm
plywood. I include a falling lemming from an arcade and
Amiga game. This is on a long string, falling off my
Christmas tree. This bitmap and decoration was
inspiration for my contributions to this months
Castlefield Gallery event. This was an event by artist
Jackie Haynes and includes an audio version of
classic Christmas songs. This event was A Round of
Toasts
.



Track and Field, 1984. Source: Nintendo.co.uk and artist.



Laser Cut Decorations set up, 2021. Source: Artist.



Falling Lemming, 2021. Source: Artist.



Final Boxed Decorations, 2021. Source: Artist.

References:

Castlefield Gallery (2021) A Round of Toasts [Online]. Manchester: Castlefield Gallery.
Available from: <https://www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk/event/a-round-of-toasts/>
[Accessed 18 December 2021].

Murray, R. (2015) How to Survive Your Viva:
Defending a Thesis in an Oral Examination
. 3rd
ed. Berkshire: Open University Press. Available
from: <https://www.vlebooks.com/> [Accessed 16 December
2021].

NQ64 (2021) NQ64 Arcade Bar [Online]. NQ64. Available from:
<https://nq64.co.uk/> [Accessed 18 December 2021].

Tinkler, P. and Jackson, C. (2004) The
Doctoral Examination Process: A handbook
for students, examiners and supervisors
.
Berkshire: Open University Press. Available
from: <https://ebookcentral.proquest.com>
[accessed 17 December 2021].

Vitae (2021) Defending your doctoral thesis: the
PhD viva
[Online]. Vitae. Available from:
<https://www.vitae.ac.uk/doing-research/doing-a-doctorate/completing-your-doctorate/your-viva>
[Accessed 18 December 2021].